This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. Disclaimer: Barilla does not sell wine. #BarillaGlutenFree #CollectiveBias
Instant Pot Lentil Bolognese Sauce can be made in no time with the help of your electric pressure cooker. Plus, it’s vegetarian and packed with protein & fiber.
I’m always on the lookout for ways to eat more pasta while still keeping my nutrition a bit on track too… That’s because I could seriously eat pasta every single day of my life…
I recently passed by a question on Facebook where someone asked: “If you could only eat three foods for the rest of your life, what would they be?”
I started off on the right foot:
And then, my carb-loving, half Italian-blooded self came through:
Seriously, I think I lived my entire high-school life eating pasta every day… My nana lived next door, and every day after school she would walk us over some of her pasta with sauce. So it’s only habit…
Here’s a pasta recipe that makes me feel a little better about things. It’s vegetarian, packed with fiber and nutrients, and even the pasta is gluten free. And, I made it all with the help of my Instant Pot. It seems whenever I’m cooking bean-based dishes lately, I always use the Instant Pot – It saves so much time, and I love how hands-free it makes the cooking process.
This Instant Pot Lentil Bolognese is loaded with veggies – Crimini mushrooms, carrots, celery, and tomatoes… And of course, I had to a glug or two of red wine…
Even though the Instant Pot makes things quicker, this lentil bolognese sauce will still take about 40 minutes from start to finish… Leaving you plenty of time to drink remaining red wine and start your pasta…
I cooked up a box of Barilla Gluten Free Penne for this recipe. It’s very similar in taste and texture to “regular” pasta and is make with non-GMO corn and rice. It’s a hearty pasta that stands up well to the lentil bolognese.
I like to serve this Instant Pot Lentil Bolognese over the pasta in big bowls topped with plenty of fresh grated Pecorino Romano cheese and a sprinkling of fresh basil. Highly suggested for not only Meatless Monday, but any day of the week..
Instant Pot Lentil Bolognese Sauce
This Lentil Bolognese Sauce can be made in no time with the help of your Instant Pot.
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped Crimini mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 cup dried lentils rinsed
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Dash red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Coarse salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 pound Barilla Gluten Free Penne cooked
- Pecorino Romano cheese grated or shaved
- Fresh basil chopped (optional)
- Press the Sauté function key on your Instant Pot and heat the olive oil. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Keep the lid off and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onions are clear and the vegetables are soft.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft and have released some liquid and the garlic is fragrant. Add the tomato paste and stir to incorporate, let brown for 2-3 minutes. Add the red wine and stir, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot, let evaporate.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, water, and spices to the Instant Pot, close the steam release knob and set to manual for 20 minutes. Now is a good time to cook your pasta. When the Lentil Bolognese sauce is done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve over cooked pasta and top with grated cheese and fresh basil.
Wine Pairings for Instant Pot Lentil Bolognese Sauce:
- Try an authentic Italian red wine with this hearty lentil bolognese – Chianti, Barolo and Teroldego are all great options.
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Be sure to try these too: