If you love Sour Cream & Onion potato chips, you’ll love this Crispy Sour Cream and Onion Chicken recipe! Chicken breasts are coated with sour cream, then covered in crushed fried onions. Serve it all up with a lemon-chive sour cream sauce and you are in heaven!
I subscribe to NY Times Cooking, and yesterday in my inbox, I saw a recipe come across for Crispy Sour Cream and Onion Chicken. I immediately had to seek it out.
In their version, they first marinated the chicken in a mixture of sour cream (or Greek yogurt), onion powder, and chives. Then they breaded it in panko and fried it.
While this recipe was definitely inspired by that one, I went in a different direction.
I breaded this chicken in fried onions.
You know the onions that come in the little tins. The ones that come out like once a year for the Thanksgiving Green Bean Casserole?
Turns out, they make an amazing, super flavorful, coating for chicken.
I also decided to bake my chicken instead of frying it. Making it just a tad bit healthier, and much easier to prepare in my book.
You only need 6-simple ingredients to make this sour cream chicken:
- Chicken Breasts – boneless, skinless
- Sour Cream
- Fried Onions – the crispy, fried onions that you find in cans (often used for green bean casserole)
- Salt + Pepper
- Fresh Chives
How to make it
- Marinade chicken breasts in sour cream and lemon juice, 1 hour to overnight.
- Coat chicken in crushed french fried onions.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Bake the chicken on a baking rack set on a baking sheet (lined with foil for easy cleanup). This helps the air circulate around the chicken, getting it extra crispy.
- If your chicken is getting too browned, tent it with some tin foil during the end of the cook time.
- Use a food processor to pulse the french fried onions into coarse crumbs. If you don’t have one, a high-powered blender will also work. Or, you can add the onions to a large plastic zip-top bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Marinating the chicken in sour cream and lemon helps to tenderize the chicken.
What to serve with it
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Easy Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Reduction & Cranberries
- The Best Glazed Carrots
- Roasted Miso Cauliflower
- Arugula Salad
- Apple Slaw with Celery Root
- Grilled Broccolini with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Sauteed Spinach
- More → the BEST side dishes to serve with chicken cutlets.
- White Wine: Viognier or unoaked Chardonnay
- Red Wine: Pinot Noir, or other light bodied red. Avoid hard, oaky tannic reds and they can overwhelm the delicate flavors of the chicken.
- Bubbles! Prosecco and Cava are great options.
More chicken breast recipes
- Miso Chicken
- Grilled Chicken with Peanut Sauce
- Sous Vide Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot Chicken Breasts & Gravy
- Sesame Noodles with Chicken
Did you try this sour cream and onion chicken?
If you loved this sour cream breaded chicken I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a ⭐️star review⭐️! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Crispy Sour Cream & Onion Chicken
Sour Cream Sauce:
- Thinly Sliced Chives
- Lemon Wedges
- Sour Cream Sauce
- In a large baking dish, combine the sour cream and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken breast pieces in the dish and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (convection preferred). Place a large wire rack over a large baking sheet lined with tin foil.
- Pulse the fried onions in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Alternatively, you can crush the onions in a large plastic zip-top bag.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the sour cream mixture and coat the pieces thoroughly with the onions.
- Arrange the coated chicken on the wire rack.
- Bake in preheated oven, about 18-20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through (center of thickest part should register 165-degrees on an instant read thermometer).
- Serve chicken with a side of sour cream sauce and garnished with chives and lemon wedges.
This post was originally published in 2020. It was updated in 2023 to add new information. The cripsy sour cream chicken recipe remains the same. Enjoy!