If you love Sour Cream & Onion potato chips, you’ll love this Crispy Baked Sour Cream Chicken recipe! Chicken breasts are coated with sour cream, then covered in crushed fried onions. Serve it all up with a lemon-chive sour cream sauce and you are in heaven!
If you love these crispy baked chicken breasts, you’ll also love these Shake n Bake Pork Chops and this Miso Chicken.
I subscribe to NY Times Cooking, and yesterday in my inbox, I saw a recipe come across for Crispy Sour Cream and Onion Chicken. I immediately had to seek it out.
In their version, they first marinated the chicken in a mixture of sour cream (or Greek yogurt), onion powder, and chives. Then they breaded it in panko and fried it.
While this recipe was definitely inspired by that one, I went in a different direction.
I breaded this chicken in fried onions.
You know the onions that come in the little tins. The ones that come out like once a year for the Thanksgiving Green Bean Casserole?
Turns out, they make an amazing, super flavorful, coating for chicken.
I also decided to bake my chicken instead of frying it. Making it just a tad bit healthier, and much easier to prepare in my book.
🛒 Ingredients Needed
You only need 6-simple ingredients to make this sour cream chicken:
- Chicken Breasts – boneless, skinless
- Sour Cream
- Fried Onions – the crispy, fried onions that you find in cans (often used for green bean casserole)
- Salt + Pepper
- Fresh Chives
📋 How to Make Sour Cream Chicken
- Marinade chicken breasts in sour cream and lemon juice, 1 hour to overnight.
- Coat chicken in crushed french fried onions.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
Tips for Making Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Breasts
- Bake the chicken on a baking rack set on a baking sheet (lined with foil for easy cleanup). This helps the air circulate around the chicken, getting it extra crispy.
- If your chicken is getting too browned, tent it with some tin foil during the end of the cook time.
- Use a food processor to pulse the french fried onions into coarse crumbs. If you don’t have one, a high-powered blender will also work. Or, you can add the onions to a large plastic zip-top bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Marinating the chicken in sour cream and lemon helps to tenderize the chicken.
More chicken breast recipes:
- Miso Chicken
- Grilled Chicken with Peanut Sauce
- Sous Vide Chicken Breasts Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Breasts & Gravy
- 20-Minute Sesame Noodles with Chicken
🍷 Wine Pairings
- White Wine: Viognier or unoaked Chardonnay
- Red Wine: Pinot Noir, or other light bodied red. Avoid hard, oaky tannic reds and they can overwhelm the delicate flavors of the chicken.
- Bubbles! Prosecco and Cava are great options.
If you loved this Crispy Baked Chicken Breast recipe, I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
For more great Platings and Pairings recipes, be sure to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.
🍴 What to Serve with It
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Easy Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Reduction & Cranberries
- The Best Glazed Carrots
- Roasted Miso Cauliflower
- Arugula Salad
- Apple Slaw with Celery Root
- Grilled Broccolini with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Sauteed Spinach
Sour Cream Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless (skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally and pounded 1/4-inch thick, or use 2 pounds of chicken cutlets (don’t split or pound))
- 1 cup sour cream
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 6-ounce cans fried onions
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
Sour Cream Sauce:
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Thinly Sliced Chives
- Lemon Wedges
- Sour Cream Sauce
- In a large baking dish, combine the sour cream and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken breast pieces in the dish and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (convection preferred). Place a large wire rack over a large baking sheet lined with tin foil.
- Pulse the fried onions in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Alternatively, you can crush the onions in a large plastic zip-top bag.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the sour cream mixture and coat the pieces thoroughly with the onions.
- Arrange the coated chicken on the wire rack.
- Bake in preheated oven, about 18-20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through (center of thickest part should register 165-degrees on an instant read thermometer).
- Serve chicken with a side of sour cream sauce and garnished with chives and lemon wedges.
4 thoughts on “Sour Cream Chicken with Crispy Onion Coating”
Thank you for sharing that lovely food recipe.
You’re so welcome!
Great recipe! Paired it with some green bean casserole and it was amazing, I was a bit intimidated to use the sour cream base compared to egg but the marinade made it so tender and moist!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it Jordan!