This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Safeway. All opinions are 100% my own.
If you love Sour Cream & Onion potato chips, you’ll love this Crispy Baked Chicken recipe! Chicken breasts are coated with sour cream, then covered in crushed fried onions. Serve it all up with a lemon-chive sour cream sauce and you are in heaven!
I subscribe to NY Times Cooking, and yesterday in my inbox, I saw a recipe come across for Crispy Sour Cream and Onion Chicken. I immediately had to seek it out.
In their version, they first marinated the chicken in a mixture of sour cream (or Greek yogurt), onion powder, and chives. Then they breaded it in panko and fried it.
While this recipe was definitely inspired by that one, I went in a different direction.
I breaded this chicken in fried onions.
You know the onions that come in the little tins. The ones that come out like once a year for the Thanksgiving Green Bean Casserole?
Turns out, they make an amazing, super flavorful, coating for chicken.
I also decided to bake my chicken instead of frying it. Making it just a tad bit healthier, and much easier to prepare in my book.
How to Make Crispy Baked Chicken Breasts:
- Marinade chicken breasts in sour cream and lemon juice, 1 hour to overnight.
- Coat chicken in crushed french fried onions.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
I picked up everything I needed for this sour cream chicken at my local Safeway. I love shopping there because it’s the one store where I’m guaranteed to find everything on my list, at great prices (I love their signature brands like the O Organics® and Open Nature® lines).
New to me were their O Organics® french-fried onions. They were so tasty I couldn’t stop snacking on them straight out of the container. They almost didn’t find their way onto the chicken! I also picked up their SignatureSELECT™ Black Pepper and Signature SELECT Heavy Duty Tin Foil (which makes cleanup a breeze).
The O Organics® line of products are always non-GMO, 100% USDA Certified Organic, and affordable for all. And I love that their french fried onions are gluten-free, meaning that if you have a gluten sensitivity, you can make crispy baked chicken breast without breadcrumbs.
You can also find these lines exclusively at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, Star Market, United Supermarkets and Carrs. Visit albertsons.com or safeway.com to find a store near you and discover meal prep tips and recipe ideas.
Albertsons and Safeway also offer Grocery Delivery and DriveUp & Go™ for convenient ways to shop! I’ll definitely be using this more often when the weather starts turning. No need to bolt out of my car in the pouring rain!
Tips for Making Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Breasts:
- Bake the chicken on a baking rack set on a baking sheet (lined with foil for easy cleanup). This helps the air circulate around the chicken, getting it extra crispy.
- If your chicken is getting too browned, tent it with some tin foil during the end of the cook time.
- Use a food processor to pulse the french fried onions into coarse crumbs. If you don’t have one, a high-powered blender will also work. Or, you can add the onions to a large plastic zip-top bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Marinating the chicken in sour cream and lemon helps to tenderize the chicken.
Chicken Breast Recipes
- Miso Chicken
- Grilled Chicken with Peanut Sauce
- Sous Vide Chicken Breasts Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Breasts & Gravy
- 20-Minute Sesame Noodles with Chicken
What to Serve with Crispy Baked Chicken:
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Easy Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Reduction & Cranberries
- The Best Glazed Carrots
- Roasted Miso Cauliflower
- Arugula Salad
- Apple Slaw with Celery Root
- Grilled Broccolini with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Wine Pairings for Chicken:
- White Wine: Viognier or unoaked Chardonnay
- Red Wine: Pinot Noir, or other light bodied red. Avoid hard, oaky tannic reds and they can overwhelm the delicate flavors of the chicken.
- Bubbles! Prosecco and Cava are great options.
If you loved this Crispy Baked Chicken Breast recipe, I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Sour Cream & Onion Crispy Baked Chicken
- 4 boneless (skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally and pounded 1/4-inch thick, or use 2 pounds of chicken cutlets (don’t split or pound))
- 1 cup sour cream
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 6-ounce cans O Organics® french-fried onions
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
Sour Cream Sauce:
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Thinly Sliced Chives
- Lemon Wedges
- Sour Cream Sauce
- In a large baking dish, combine the sour cream and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken breast pieces in the dish and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (convection preferred). Place a large wire rack over a large baking sheet lined with tin foil.
- Pulse the fried onions in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Alternatively, you can crush the onions in a large plastic zip-top bag.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the sour cream mixture and coat the pieces thoroughly with the onions.
- Arrange the coated chicken on the wire rack.
- Bake in preheated oven, about 18-20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through (center of thickest part should register 165-degrees on an instant read thermometer).
- Serve chicken with a side of sour cream sauce and garnished with chives and lemon wedges.