This homemade Smoked Salmon Dip with Cream Cheese is so refreshing, creamy, and delicious! It’s made with 8 simple ingredients like fresh herbs, lemon, sour cream, and rich smoked salmon for an irresistible dipping experience.
This post was originally published in 2021. It was updated in 2023 to add new information. The recipe remains the same. Enjoy!
Arrive at the party prepared with this easy Smoked Salmon Dip in tow. Always fresh, bright, and creamy, this 8-ingredient dip fits in at any dinner party, brunch, or potluck!
A little bit fancy but secretly really simple, you can whip up a smoked salmon recipe in under 10 minutes. Made with smoked salmon, cream cheese, sour cream, fresh lemon, and herbs, every bite is super refreshing, filling, and vibrant.
Bonus: It’s naturally gluten free too!
Seriously, there is no occasion where this salmon dip doesn’t fit in! Serve salmon dip crostini appetizers with French 75 Cocktails for an elegant New Year’s party or keep it casual by making the dip a part of this Game Day Snack Board. You can’t go wrong!
🛒 What is salmon dip made of?
This light and creamy salmon spread is made with just a handful of simple ingredients. Make sure to pick up a baguette, a few varieties of crackers, and a bottle of chardonnay for the most delectable dipping experience:
- Smoked salmon – I highly recommend splurging a little on a package of good quality smoked salmon rather than chopping up leftover cooked salmon so the smoky and buttery flavors shine through the creamy dip.
- Cream cheese – Make sure it’s at room temperature so it’s easy to mix.
- Sour cream – Or substitute it for Greek yogurt or creme fraiche for a tangier flavor.
- Mayonnaise – For extra creaminess. You can leave this out or replace it with more sour cream or cream cheese if you prefer your salmon dip with no mayo.
- Lemon – You’ll need lemon zest and juice for brightness and balance.
- Capers – For that delicious briny flavor that pairs so perfectly with salmon.
- Herbs – Chopped fresh dill and chives were practically made to be eaten with smoked salmon spread. If you can’t find chives, you can swap in green onions or red onion.
📋 How to make it
Add the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a food processor and pulse until blended.
Next, add the salmon, capers, dill, and chives to the processor and blend until the salmon is finely chopped but there’s still some texture. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed, then enjoy it right away or keep it in the fridge for later.
ℹ️ Can it be made ahead of time?
If you don’t want to eat the salmon dip right away, keep it in a sealed container in the refrigerator up to 1 day in advance. This also gives the ingredients more time to get to know each other, resulting in a much more tasty dip!
🕕 How long does salmon dip last in the fridge?
The leftovers store well in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 or 3 days.
🥖 What to serve with salmon dip
Smoked salmon dip is best served at room temperature but go ahead and serve it chilled if you prefer a firmer texture. Serve each batch as a dip or spread with:
- Crostini, crackers, or naan
- As part of a charcuterie board
- Breadsticks or bagel chips
- Spread onto sandwiches or bagels
- Sliced vegetables
🍷 Wine pairings for smoked salmon dip
- A bright, lemony, and acidic Chardonnay is the ultimate wine pairing for smoked salmon dip because it will balance out the rich flavors.
- A light Pinot Noir or young Beaujolais would also work well here, as the acidity and earthiness make a great match for salmon.
- MORE —> 8 wines that pair with salmon perfectly!
🐟 More salmon recipes
- Sheet Pan Salmon
- Everything Bagel Salmon
- Sriracha Glazed Salmon
- Sous Vide Salmon
- Miso Salmon
- Salmon Sushi Bowls with Spicy Mayo
🥣 More creamy dips
- Baba Ganoush (Creamy Eggplant Dip)
- Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip
- Baked Goat Cheese Dip
- Whipped Feta
- Hummus with Whipped Feta
- More → 50+ EASY Dip Recipes
Did you try this salmon dip recipe?
If you loved this salmon cream cheese dip I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Salmon Dip with Cream Cheese Recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup sour cream (or greek yogurt or creme fraiche)
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 ounces smoked salmon (or trout)
- 1 teaspoon capers (drained)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh dill (roughly chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons chives (rough chopped)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon zest, and juice in a food processor and pulse until blended.
- Add the salmon, capers, dill and chives and pulse, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary, until the salmon is finely chopped. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!