Learn how to make homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning! Whip up this salty, garlicky seasoning in just 2-minutes with simple ingredients. It will last for up to 6-months.
If you haven’t tried making your own Everything Bagel Seasoning, you’re missing out! The salty and garlicky seasoning mix is delicious on practically everything, from Soft Pretzel Bites to Everything Bagel Crusted Salmon. It has the magical ability to take the flavor of a regular dish or snack to an entirely different level.
Made with 7 common seeds and spices, this everything bagel seasoning recipe can be whipped up in a matter of minutes! Seriously, I’m talking 2 to 5 minutes. The best part? Once the batch is ready, it can be easily stored in your cupboard for up to 6 months!
Do you need some extra flavor on your avocado toast, scrambled eggs, or guacamole? Sounds like a job for your everything but the bagel seasoning! Trust me, once you’ve tasted this spice blend, you’ll be adding it to everything.
What is everything bagel seasoning?
I have to applaud the genius who thought of packaging the garlicky topping from an everything bagel. After all, it’s what makes the bagels so delicious and popular!
The everything bagel is thought to have been created in the 1970s or 1980s and has only grown in popularity since.
In recent years, popular grocery chains like Trader Joe’s have begun selling everything bagel seasoning by the bottle. It can be sprinkled on avocado toast, homemade bread, pasta, fish, salads, and more to replicate those same delicious flavors from the classic bagel.
The recipe for everything bagel spice blend can vary, but almost always contains the same 7 ingredients:
- Sesame seeds
- Poppy seeds
- Dried onion
- Dried garlic
- Sunflower seeds
- Black pepper
My recipe is a little different, as I’ve added fennel and caraway seeds for more peppery and citrusy flavors.
Everything but the bagel seasoning ingredients:
- Dried minced garlic – Possibly the most delicious, aromatic, and potent flavor in this spice mix. Powdered garlic would also work well.
- Sesame seeds – A mix of white and black seeds add a nice crunch and sweet nuttiness.
- Poppy seeds – For a slight crunch, texture, and to give the mix that true bagel quality.
- Sea salt – A coarse sea salt works best, but you can always use regular table salt if that’s all you have at home.
- Caraway seeds – Known for their distinct bittersweet, peppery, and citrusy flavor.
- Fennel seeds – You won’t find fennel seeds in every everything bagel seasoning recipe but I especially love how they add a slight licorice flavor and herbiness!
How to make homemade everything bagel seasoning:
Combine the dried garlic, white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sea salt, caraway seeds, and fennel seeds in a small bowl.
Give the mix a good stir, then store it in an airtight container. It keeps well at room temperature for up to 6 months!
How to use everything bagel seasoning:
You’ve gotta keep a batch of this garlicky, savory, and slightly sweet spice mix in your cupboard at all times! It adds a pop of flavor and texture to any dish and can be added to everything, from your favorite dips to breakfast staples to homemade bread.
This is what I love to use it on:
- A little on top of whipped feta, homemade hummus, or classic cheese fondue will take your party dips up a notch.
- My everything bagel crusted salmon wouldn’t be as delicious, crunchy, or savory without the seasoning!
- Fold a generous sprinkling into your next batch of easy Guinness bread or homemade dinner rolls.
- It’s even good on pasta! A small sprinkle will make your pumpkin mac and cheese, easy lemon pasta, or broccoli pesto pasta extra savory.
- Everything bagel seasoning and savory breakfast foods are a match made in heaven! I like adding this seasoning to Mexican breakfast tostadas, avocado and kale savory oatmeal, and sous vide egg bites.
If you loved this everything bagel seasoning recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More seasoning recipes:
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning Recipe // Quick + Easy
- Homemade Italian Seasoning Recipe
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
More ways to use your seasoning:
- Ham and Cheese Pinwheels with Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Quinoa Stuffed Peppers with Ground Beef
- Prosciutto Wrapped Avocado Appetizers
- Vegan Cesar Salad
- Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip
Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons flaky sea salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- Combine the dried garlic, white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sea salt, caraway seeds, and fennel seeds in a small bowl.
- Stir to combine.