Learn how to make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken for a moist, flavorful, and tender protein you can use in lunches, dinners, and more. It’s the best meal prep secret you can make with fresh or frozen chicken!
There are so many reasons why I think everyone needs to have this easy Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe on hand at all times. Not only can it be made ahead of time, but the chicken can be stored in the fridge and used in all of your meals throughout the week!
We’ve all had those days where we’ve forgotten to take the chicken out of the freezer for dinner. Thankfully, one of the best features of making shredded chicken in a pressure cooker is that it can be made with frozen chicken! The result is so flavorful and moist, plus the tender meat will soak up any seasonings you throw at it.
I love using my shredded chicken in a pot of Chicken Noodle Soup or as the main protein in these Chicken Larb Lettuce Wraps. Serve it in the summer months dressed in a hefty pour of Homemade BBQ Sauce or feel free to add it to salads, tacos, or even to replace the beef in this hearty Enchilada Dip. The possibilities are truly endless!
How to make shredded chicken in the Instant Pot:
Begin by placing the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot. Sprinkle the seasonings over top and pour in the chicken or bone broth.
Cook on MANUAL high pressure for a few minutes and let the pressure release naturally once the chicken is finished cooking. Next, release the remaining pressure with a quick release.
Transfer the cooked chicken breasts to a bowl and shred the meat with 2 forks. Alternatively, you can use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Serve the chicken hot or store it away for later.
How to shred chicken with a stand mixer:
The easy method of adding the cooked chicken to the bowl of a stand mixer will give you perfectly shredded chicken without lifting a finger. Use the paddle attachment and start off slow. Gradually increase the speed until you end up with a bowl of finely shredded chicken.
If you don’t have a standing mixer, a handheld electric mixer will work just as well. Just work with 1 or 2 chicken breasts at a time.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken tips and variations:
- Reserve the juices leftover in the Instant Pot. This broth can be stored in the fridge or freezer and used in soups or stews, and reheated with the shredded chicken to give it some extra moisture.
- Make this recipe with chicken thighs instead. The thighs contain more fat, meaning you’ll end up with more flavorful and tender meat. Just make sure you use boneless, skinless thighs.
- Using frozen chicken? Just add 2 extra minutes to the cook time.
- For the most flavor and to prevent a burn notice on the Instant Pot, pressure cook the chicken in chicken broth or bone broth. Not only will this infuse tons of flavor, but will also add a healthy boost of collagen.
- If you don’t have any broth or stock, you can use plain water instead.
- A simple seasoning mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika will mildly flavor the chicken so you can use it in a variety of recipes. If you plan on using the chicken for a specific dish, replace these with a complementary seasonings mix (like Cajun, Italian, or taco seasoning).
Ways to use shredded chicken:
The options are truly endless when it comes to using your homemade shredded chicken. Whether you drown it in barbecue sauce for a BBQ chicken sandwich, add it to nachos with Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips, or include it in your main entree with a drizzle of Lemon Butter Sauce, the chicken will transform your meal into a hearty treat.
Here are some more ideas on how to use up the chicken:
- Toss some into this Roasted Fennel Pasta with Ricotta for an Italian feast.
- Use it in these Salsa Chicken lettuce cups.
- Add it to my White Chicken Chili.
- Add some to my Chicken Gyro Bowls to make them extra filling.
- It pairs well with Mexican Street Corn Tacos with Artichoke Queso Blanco on the side.
How to store shredded chicken:
- Storing: Cooled shredded chicken can be stored in a tightly sealed airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezing: Shredded chicken is best frozen in small portions of about 1-2 cups. Each portion can be frozen in an airtight container or a sealed freezer-safe bag with as much air removed as possible for 3 to 4 months. Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before using.
- Reheating: Heat the chicken in the microwave or by placing it in a skillet over medium heat with some of the reserved chicken broth and stirring until it’s warmed through.
If you loved this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished stew and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Oatmeal
- Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mac & Cheese
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Recipe
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 3 Pounds Chicken Breasts (Fresh or Frozen (about 4 large breasts))
- 1 ½ cups bone broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add the chicken breasts to the instant pot. Sprinkle the seasonings on top of the chicken, then pour in the broth.
- Cover and seal the lid, and turn the vent to sealing. Press the MANUAL (high pressure) button and set the timer to 13 minutes (16 minutes for frozen chicken). It will take about 10 minutes for Instant Pot to come to full pressure, then the display will show a countdown timer.
- Once the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
- Shred the chicken using two forks, or a stand mixer.
- Use immediately or store, tightly sealed, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.