Keep the pumpkin recipes coming! I love having muffins on hand for an easy grab ‘n go breakfast. However, a lot of muffins seem to be just a cupcake, without frosting, disguised as breakfast. These muffins fit the bill for yummy and healthy. They’re made with healthy coconut oil, whole wheat flour, and sweetened with maple syrup and honey. Hopefully they’ll make your morning a little bit brighter 🙂
Healthy Pumpkin Oat Muffins
- cup •⅓ coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- •2 eggs
- cup •1 pumpkin purée
- cup •¼ milk of choice (soy almond, dairy)
- teaspoon •1 baking soda
- teaspoon •1 vanilla extract
- teaspoon •½ salt
- teaspoon •½ cinnamon plus more for sprinkling on top
- teaspoon •½ ground ginger
- teaspoon •¼ nutmeg
- teaspoon •¼ cloves
- cups •1¾ whole wheat flour
- cup •⅓ old-fashioned oats plus more for sprinkling on top
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease muffin tin with butter or non-stick cooking spray (Trader Joe's makes a great coconut oil cooking spray).
In a large bowl, beat the oil, maple syrup and honey together. Add eggs, and beat well. Mix in the pumpkin purée and milk, followed by the baking soda, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice or cloves.
Add the flour and oats to the bowl and mix with a large spoon, just until combined.
Divide the batter evenly between the ten muffin cups. For these muffins, it’s ok to fill the cups a little higher than you normally would. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a small amount of oats, followed by a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Bake muffins for 23 to 26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack and let cool completely before removing from tin.
- Freeze your extra muffins to keep on hand for easy to grab breakfasts on the go. Just pop your frozen muffin into the microwave for 30 seconds and you’re good to go!
- If you’ve got leftover pumpkin puree, pop it in a Ziploc bag and pop it in the freezer. Keep it on hand to use in other recipes such as this Pumpkin Pie Smoothie, Pumpkin Coconut Chicken Curry, or Pumpkin Pie with Salted Caramel Sauce.