Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Pasta – a super easy pasta dish with the most delicious, creamy sun-dried tomato sauce loaded with mozzarella & parmesan cheese. This vegetarian dinner will be on your dinner table in 20 minutes!
So I’m here today to give you more of what you want! Bringing the dreamy sauce on strong with this Creamy Tomato Pasta.
Here’s the dish on this dish:
- Tangy sun-dried tomatoes with a hint of sweetness
- Mozzarella AND parmesan cheese
- White wine – because it makes everything better in my book!
- Fresh basil
And it basically had to be made since I just made these homemade sun dried tomatoes in the oven.
Of course, you do not need to go to all the trouble of making sun dried tomatoes at home (although it’s very easy). And the rest of the ingredients are super simple, things that you may already have on hand.
Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Ingredients:
- White Wine
- Heavy Cream
- Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Red Pepper Flakes
My homemade sun dried tomatoes were in olive oil, as many store brands are. However, if you purchase tomatoes that aren’t packed in oil, you will want to soften them first. To do so, just soak them in hot water for 20 minutes, then drain.
I kept this recipe vegetarian, since when I’m eating a big bowl of pasta, I feel that an added protein is unnecessary. But, you could definitely add chicken, sausage or shrimp to this recipe!
Here are some variations:
Creamy Tomato Pasta with Chicken
- Before starting the cream sauce, brown up two chicken breasts (I like to season them with Italian seasoning and a bit of paprika). Set aside and slice the chicken then add it back to the cooked cream sauce.
Creamy Tomato Pasta with Shrimp
- Before starting the cream sauce, cook ½ pound uncooked shrimp until pink and opaque. Set aside and sprinkle with lemon juice, then add it back to the cooked cream sauce.
Creamy Tomato Pasta with Sausage
- Before starting the cream sauce, brown up some sausage links or ground sausage. Set aside and slice the links, then add it back to the cooked cream sauce.
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta with Spinach
- Add 1 cup rough chopped spinach to the pasta & sauce. Stir until wilted, then add in basil and serve.
Tip: Make sure to reserve some of the pasta cooking liquid before draining. Then, if your cream sauce is too thick, add some of the cooking liquid to help reach your desired consistency.
If you loved this pasta recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Wine Pairings for Sun Dried Tomato Pasta:
- Sauvignon Blanc pairs very nicely with this rich, creamy sauce.
- Pinot Gris is another great match – With bright acidity and notes of citrus, it’ll pair well.
More Pasta Recipes:
- Broccoli Pesto Pasta with Walnuts
- Tortellini in Cream Sauce
- Tuna Pasta
- Roasted Fennel Pasta with Ricotta
- Easy Lemon Pasta
- Pasta Alla Vodka
- Squid Ink Pasta with Shrimp & Cherry Tomatoes
- Pea & Bacon Pasta
- 30-Minute BLT Pasta
- Cheesy Brussel Sprout Pasta with Grainy Mustard
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage & Sage
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Recipe
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white wine (or chicken broth)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup julienned sun dried tomatoes in olive oil (drained)
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
- Small handful fresh basil chopped finely
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in white wine (or chicken broth) and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Stir in heavy cream, sun dried tomatoes, mozzarella, parmesan, oregano and red pepper flakes until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce adding cooking liquid as needed to thin out the sauce. Serve.