This Indian Butternut Squash Curry is a delicious vegetarian curry dish simmered with fragrant spices and rich coconut milk.
Confession: I’ve developed a bit of an obsession with meal delivery services. It’s just so much more easy to drive home after work and have a box of groceries waiting for you, rather than going to the grocery store, standing in line, unloading the car, and then cooking. Obviously I LOVE to cook – I don’t, however, have a grocery shopping obsession. I fit the grocery store in when I can, usually heading there on my lunch break and picking up what I need for that night’s dinner.
This is why I love Blue Apron! They deliver to your house all the ingredients you need to prepare and you just get to do the fun part – Cook their delicious recipes. Here are some of the highlights:
- Blue Apron recipes feature seasonal, unique ingredients that are hard to find at your typical grocery store.
- They offer flexible plans. The classic 2 person plan will set you up to receive one delivery a week; you’ll receive three inventive meals for two people. The Family Plan is perfect for feeding a family of four; you can opt to receive either one or two deliveries per week. Each delivery will consist of two meals to be served family style.
- Blue Apron recipes are delivered in a refrigerated box so ingredients will stay fresh even if you’re not at home when your package arrives.
- Each menu is between 500 and 700 calories per person. The ingredients are incredibly fresh and sourced from small family farms and artisans.
- Most meals can be prepared in 35 minutes or less.
My last box arrived with the ingredients to make this amazing Indian Butternut Squash Curry – Perfect for #MeatlessMonday!
It’s definitely a recipe that I will continue to make on my own, even without the help of Blue Apron delivering the ingredients to my front door. I like that the ingredients are easy to find in the local grocery store and the fact that it’s a healthy and quick weeknight dinner option.
You can always win me over with a spicy, fragrant dish that’s served over a steaming bowl of rice. Bonus points if you give me a glass of Riesling to sip on the side!
Indian Butternut Squash Curry
- 1 1/2 cup jasmine rice
- 3 1/2 cups light coconut milk
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 2- inch piece ginger minced
- 2 butternut squash peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 shallots thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 1/2 tsp . ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp . brown mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp . cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp . ground tumeric
In a medium pot, combine the rice, a big pinch of salt and 3 cups of water; heat to boiling on high. Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook 12 to 14 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from heat and fluff the cooked rice with a fork.
While the rice cooks, in a large, high-sided pan (or pot), heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the squash and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned and slightly softened.
To the pan, add the garlic, ginger and spices; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the shallot and celery; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened and fragrant.
Add the coconut milk to the pan; season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes, or until thickened. (Be careful not to boil, as the coconut milk may separate.) If the curry seems too thick, gradually add up to ¼ cup of water to achieve your desired consistency. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve curry on top of rice, topped with chopped cilantro.
Wine Pairings for Indian Butternut Squash Curry:
- Dry Riesling is a great match for this squash curry. It’s hint of sweetness will tame down the heat while its acidity stands up to the bold blend of spices.
- Gewurztraminer is another lightly sweet wine that pairs nicely with this dish.
Looking for more curry recipes? Try these:
Blue Apron is giving my readers $30 off their first order or 3 free meals with a subscription. Be sure to check out these amazing deals!
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Blue Apron. As always, all opinions are my own.