I teamed up with Erath Wines to bring you this tasty post. As always, all opinions are my own.
Cheesy Baked Gnocchi with Pumpkin & Kale. Made with gruyere, mozzarella and parmesan, this dish is a cheese lovers dream. And the addition of seasonal pumpkin & kale makes it perfect for the Fall.
I’m bringing on all the fall vibes today with this dish.
Baked Gnocchi with Pumpkin & Kale
Oh, and loads of cheese too…
While you can make homemade gnocchi from scratch, I’m taking a shortcut with this recipe and using store-bought gnocchi.
How to make Baked Gnocchi:
- First bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the gnocchi according to the package directions. During the last minute of cook time, add the kale to the water too, to help tenderize it.
- Combine canned pumpkin with cream, stock, garlic, thyme, pepper flakes and salt and pepper.
- Add in the gnocchi and cheese, and give it a good stir to combine.
- Top with a bit more parmesan and bake in a 500-degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
While the gnocchi bakes in the oven. It’s the perfect time to open that bottle of wine…
Wine pairings for Gnocchi with Pumpkin & Kale:
I selected a couple bottles of Erath wine to pair with this gnocchi.
First up, their Pinot Noir. Hearty and fruit-forward, its earthy aromas and bright acidity balanced out the rich gnocchi nicely.
Second, I opened up a bottle of their Pinot Gris. It had a nice, balanced acidity that really stood up well to the creamy, cheese sauce.
Baked gnocchi variations:
As written, this dish is vegetarian. It makes a great side dish, especially for Thanksgiving dinner. However, if you’d like to make it a bit more hearty, you could add in a pound of browned Italian sausage or turkey sausage. You could also brown up and slice some chicken breasts and add them into the mix.
Feel free to use whatever cheeses you have on hand. Fontina, cheddar, and pecorino would all work well here.
What to serve with it:
If you loved this cheesy gnocchi recipe, I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More pasta recipes:
- Cheesy Brussel Sprout Pasta with Grainy Mustard
- Pasta Alla Vodka
- Roasted Fennel Pasta with Ricotta
- Pea & Bacon Pasta
- Easy Lemon Pasta
- Squid Ink Pasta with Shrimp & Cherry Tomatoes
- 30-Minute BLT Pasta
More pumpkin recipes:
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage & Sage
- Pumpkin Risotto with Goat Cheese
- Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
Cheesy Baked Gnocchi with Pumpkin & Kale
- 1 pound gnocchi
- 1 bunch kale (about 1 pound, ribs removed, coarsely chopped)
- 1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin purée
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic (minced or grated)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup grated Gruyère
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 cup grated Parmesan (divided)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees and lightly grease a large oven-safe skillet or casserole dish. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook the gnocchi according to package directions, adding the kale for the last minute. Drain the gnocchi and kale, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, cream, garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Add the gnocchi and kale, gruyere, mozzarella and ½ cup parmesan and toss to combine.
- Transfer the gnocchi to the baking dish, then sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Enjoy!