If you want to liven up your sweet potato fries, make sure you serve them with this Sweet Potato Fry Dipping Sauce! It’s a creamy, smoky, and zesty sauce that’s easy to make with 7 simple ingredients.
Sweet potato fries are a popular snack or side dish and a delicious, slightly sweet alternative to regular french fries. With a crisp exterior and pillowy soft interior, these fries are tasty on their own but are even better when you pair them with the right dipping sauce.
That’s when this easy Sweet Potato Fry Dipping Sauce comes in handy! The creamy, smoky, spicy, and tangy flavors balance perfectly with the sweetness of the potatoes.
Best of all, making dip for sweet potato fries takes less than 10 minutes!
Mayo and sour cream are blended with smoky and spicy chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, zesty lime juice, and pantry-staple seasonings. Use it right away or store it in your fridge until it’s time to serve it with sweet potato fries, roasted sweet potatoes, hamburgers, or any other fun snacks that could use a creamy, spicy kick!
All you need are 7-ish flavor-packed and budget-friendly ingredients to make this quick sauce for sweet potato fries:
- Sour cream – Regular or fat-free sour cream gives the base of the dip a lighter consistency and tangier flavor than if you were to only use mayonnaise. Greek yogurt also works if you want a lighter option.
- Mayonnaise – The second part of the base of this rich and creamy dip. Feel free to use regular or fat-free mayo.
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce – These are jalapeno peppers that have been smoked, dried, and packed into tins with smoky adobo sauce. They make this french fry dipping sauce smoky and spicy, just like my Chipotle Crema Sauce. You can buy small cans or tins of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce at most well-stocked grocery stores or in Mexican grocers.
- Adobo sauce – Use the sauce in the can of chipotle peppers.
- Lime zest and juice
- Garlic clove
- Cumin – An optional ingredient that adds extra layers of warmth to the sauce.
How to make sweet potato fry dipping sauce
Add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend until you have a smooth and creamy sauce.
Give the dip a taste, then blend in more salt, lime juice, or seasonings as needed. Enjoy it right away or store it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
More ways to serve this dipping sauce
Try doubling or even tripling this recipe and serving it with all of your favorite snacks and meals! Its rich and smoky flavors elevate all kinds of recipes, including:
- Sandwiches: Spread a dollop of chipotle sauce on sandwiches, paninis, and hamburgers. You can also use it as a dip for grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Bowls: Use the dip as a finishing sauce on top of burrito bowls, fish taco bowls, grain bowls, sushi bowls, southwest salads, and more.
- Tacos: A drizzle of the sauce will give cauliflower tacos, Korean tacos, and Mexican street corn tacos a spicy and smoky finish.
- Snacks: Use it as a dipping sauce for cut veggies, zucchini fries, chicken tenders, potato wedges, or chicken wings.
- If you can’t find chipotle peppers in adobo, replace them with chipotle powder or smoked paprika and a pinch of cayenne instead.
- To make this a dairy free dipping sauce, use store-bought vegan mayonnaise and sour cream or plain coconut yogurt instead.
- If the sauce isn’t as bright or acidic as you’d like, add another 1 to 2 teaspoons of lime juice and/or zest.
- For less heat, make the sauce with only 1 ½ or 1 chipotle pepper and/or 1 to 2 tablespoons of adobo sauce.
Store the dipping sauce in an airtight container or jar in the fridge. It should stay fresh and flavorful for up to 5 days.
More dipping sauces for sweet potato fries
- Boom Boom Sauce
- In-N-Out Sauce
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Cilantro Lime Crema
- Chick-Fil-A Sauce
- MORE → 15+ Dipping Sauces for Sweet Potato Fries
- MORE → 25+ French Fry Dipping Sauces
More recipes to serve with chipotle dipping sauce
- Sweet Potato Tacos
- Air Fryer Quesadillas
- Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Zucchini Fries
- Quinoa and Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
- Green Bean Fries
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
Did you make this easy sweet potato fry dipping sauce?
If you loved this creamy chipotle sauce, I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Sweet Potato Fry Dipping Sauce Recipe
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt, to taste.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.